Friday, October 5, 2007

julia

My niece Julia will be 14 on Monday. My sister Charlotte has a family party for her kids birthdays every year. Usually she makes all the food too, from appetizers to cake & other desserts. She has been known to do themes. We've done a Greek theme, with Pastitsio, Dolmades, Spanakopita & Baklava. Food heaven. And I can say we because I helped. All...ALL from scratch. And yes, we are Greek (part Greek) We had a Papou on our Moms side. We also did a Hanukkah theme one year simply because my nephews birthday happened to fall on the first night of Hanukkah. It's fun & delicious & I enjoy it every time.

Anyhow, I usually give them cash these day because that's what they ask for. But this year I made Jules a little wristlet. I hope she likes it.

(bad pics)

She had mentioned to my sister that she wanted a Sock Monkey a while back, so I thought the fabric would be appropriate. Again this pattern is from Amy Karol's book. Bend-the-Rules Sewing. I plan on attempting quite a few of the others shes come up with. Although I admit didn't quite follow it exactly only because I got confused on a few things. For instance...I used this tutorial for the zipper...well I thought the tutorial came from here , but I don't see anything of the sort. Hmmm, maybe I've lost my mind. Sorry, and thank you to whoevers instructions I used. It's not the best work I've ever done, but Charlotte sprung the party on me kindof last minute, so I was a bit rushed. I hope she likes it anyway. 14 year old girls like this sort of thing right?

P.S. My fondest memory of Julia is when I held her in the hospital for the first time I couldn't stop petting her head. Her hair was the softest thing I had EVER felt. I think my sister was afraid I was going to run off with her. I love you Hoopa-loo!

No comments: